A famous Greek philosopher once said that the only constant in life is change and we have experienced that this is especially true on the mission field.
We joined the RG Panama team in June of 2016 because we thought this was where God was leading us and we felt confident that we could work under the leadership of Jon Fowler, and with the other team members. Now, just three short years later, not one of those people is still on the team!
Earlier this year, the Fowlers felt called to leave RG to serve with the Word of Life Ministry (WOL) here in Panama. In fact, WOL was the Fowler’s original connection to Panama and Jon had been mentored by their local director Mirko. When Mirko died unexpectedly in July of 2017, it created a huge whole for the WOL team. Through a series of events and the calling of God, the Fowlers felt led to switch mission agencies and assume leadership responsibilities with WOL.
We are excited for them and the way we have seen God lead them through this but now it’s our team’s time for a loss of leadership. We are so grateful for how God used the Fowlers to establish this team in Panama in 2014 and are thankful for the healthy team they have built. While we are all personally sad to see them leave our organization, we are glad that they will still be serving in Panama and in reality, all missionaries serve on the same team!
In the meantime, Mike is stepping in as our interim “on the ground” team leader and we have another temporary team leader off site. RG is also working to recruit a more permanent team leader.
We have appreciated the way that all sides have handled this transition and we look forward to all that God has planned for Panama.
It’s good to know, that while these things surprise, and sometimes unsettle us, they are not surprises to God and that He knows the plans He has for us.
- 40 years of marriage celebrated June 2nd
- A good health report for granddaughter Nora
- Successful hernia surgery for Mike June 7th
- A smooth transition of leadership for our team
- God to send more workers into the field, specifically PAAM could use administrative helpers and Conexion Training more teachers
- God to continue to encourage the students as they work hard to learn English and language acquisition skills
- PAAM to be able to move their offices downstairs in Casa PAAM soon.
- Continued physical health and strength for Mike